This week's activity for Intermediate level English language students is about the North West of England. Watch this short video about North West England, and then scroll down to answer the questions below.
Click the play button in the centre of the video to begin. Click the pause button if you need to make notes at any point. Click the re-wind button to go back to the start of the video and watch it again.
The clues to the answers for this task are in the text which accompanies the video, so you will need to pay close attention while watching it!
1) Which city featured in the video was European Capital of Culture in 2008?
2) Which jobs sector is not featured in the video?
3) What year is displayed on one of the clocks?
4) How many locks and quays are there in The North West of England?
91 locks and 2 quays
21 locks and 9 quays
91 locks and 2 quays
92 locks and 1 quay
5) Which of these sports is not featured in the video?
6) How many Olympic silver medals have been won by athletes from the North West?
it doesn't say
7) Which of these sports is the odd one out, and why?
8) How many 'Royal' golf courses are there in the North West of England?
9) Where is the Tate Gallery?
10) When did the Manchester band Oasis rise to fame?
in the 1960's
in the 1970's
in the 1980's
in the 1990's
Click on the link below to do a quiz and check your answers:
North West Tourist Attractions - Multiple Choice Quiz
Discuss these questions with another student or friend:
Conversation Questions for students who have visited England:
1) When did you visit England?
2) Who did you travel with?
3) Which parts of England did you visit?
4) How long did you stay for?
5) What did you do when you were there?
6) Which tourist attractions did you visit while you were there?
7) What was the weather like while you were there?
8) Did you enjoy your visit?
9) Did you bring any souvenirs home with you?
10) Do you think you will ever visit England again? Why/Why not?
Conversation Questions for students who have never visited England:
(click here for some video quizzes on English Tourism if you are stuck for ideas >>)
1) Which parts of England would you most like to visit? Why?
2) Who would you like to visit England with?
3) How long would you choose to stay for?
4) Would you book a package tour, or make your own travel arrangements?
5) Which part of England would you choose to visit first?
6) Which English tourist attractions would you most like to see?
7) Are there any English cities that you would particularly like to visit?
8) Do you think you would enjoy visiting England? Why/Why not?
9) Would you bring any souvenirs home with you?
10) Do you think you will ever visit England? Why/Why not?
Related Activities and Quizzes:
Liverpool Tourism - Intermediate ESL Video Listening Quiz
Manchester Tourism - Intermediate ESL Video Listening Quiz