Thursday, December 10

English Christmas Song: The 12 Days of Christmas


Stumbleupon bookmarkReddit BookmarkDigg bookmarkDelicious BookmarkDiigo Bookmark

This week's Elementary level English language lesson is for kids and young learners.

This video about a traditional English Christmas song, The Twelve Days of Christmas will help you to practise counting and English words for numbers.

Task 1

Click the play button to watch the video. Scroll down to read the words, and sing along!

Click here for a karaoke version of the song, with lyrics >>


  • On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, a partridge in a pear tree.
  • On the second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree.
  • On the third day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, three French hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree.
  • On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, four calling birds, three French hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree.
  • On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, five golden rings, four calling birds, three French hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree.
  • On the sixth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, six geese a-laying, five golden rings, four calling birds, three French hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree.
  • On the seventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, seven swans a-swimming, six geese a-laying, five golden rings, four calling birds, three French hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree.
  • On the eighth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, eight maids a-milking, seven swans a-swimming, six geese a-laying, five golden rings, four calling birds, three French hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree.
  • On the ninth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, nine ladies dancing, eight maids a-milking, seven swans a-swimming, six geese a-laying, five golden rings, four calling birds, three French hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree.
  • On the tenth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, ten lords a-leaping, nine ladies dancing, eight maids a-milking, seven swans a-swimming, six geese a-laying, five golden rings, four calling birds, three French hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree.
  • On the eleventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, eleven pipers piping, ten lords a-leaping, nine ladies dancing, eight maids a-milking, seven swans a-swimming, six geese a-laying, five golden rings, four calling birds, three French hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree.
  • On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, twelve drummers drumming, eleven pipers piping, ten lords a-leaping, nine ladies dancing, eight maids a-milking, seven swans a-swimming, six geese a-laying, five golden rings, four calling birds, three French hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree!
Task 2 Click on the link below to do an online matching quiz:  

 Twelve Days of Christmas - ESL Matching Quiz >>  
 

Related Activities:    

Christmas Quizzes & Games for English Students & Kids >>

Christmas Shopping - Online ESL Activities and Quizzes >>    

Learn English With Christmas Songs >>    

Christmas Advent Calendar 2012 - A Different English Activity a Day >>    

Christmas Lesson Resources for English Language Teachers >>    

Winter Festivals - ESL Quizzes, Games and Worksheets >>  

External Links: Englishclub.com have an interesting modern version of this song with activities, here >>