Monday, January 25

Intermediate English Lesson - Robert Burns

The topic for this week's Intermediate English lesson is Robert Burns. Scottish people around the world celebrate Burns Night on January 25 each year, in honour of Scotland's national poet, Robert Burns.

Robert Burns was born on 25 January 1759, and died on 21 July 1796, aged 37.

He wrote over a hundred poems and songs in his short lifetime.

The song "Auld Lang Syne" is probably the most famous song that Robert Burns wrote, although many of his other songs have remained popular and are still sung around the world today.

Listen to this contemporary recording of the song "My Love is Like a Red, Red Rose" by the Scottish singer Eddi Reader, and scroll down to read the lyrics.

"My Love is Like a Red Red Rose"



Oh my love is like a red, red rose,

That's newly sprung in June:

Oh my love is like the melody,

That's sweetly played in tune.


As fair art thou, my bonnie lad,

So deep in love am I;

And I will love thee still, my dear,

Till all the seas gang dry.


Till all the seas gang dry, my dear,

And the rocks melt with the sun;

And I will love thee still, my dear,

While the sands of life shall run.

And fare thee well, my only love!

And fare thee well a while!

And I will come again, my love,

Though it were ten thousand mile!

Writing Activity

Robert Burns wrote these lyrics over 200 years ago, and some of the vocabulary and grammar he uses seems very old fashioned today. Can you re-write this poem using a more modern version of English? What words might you use to replace these words that appear in the poem?

thou gang bonnie fare thee